Getting Help & Support

  • Forums are a great place for people to share their experiences and build connections. However, if you - or someone you know - is struggling to cope it's a good idea to find some extra support.

    If you're a young person, or are worried about a young person, you can always contact our team at Voice Collective to talk things through. You can email us at , or call 020 7911 0822.

    If you want to find out more about the support we can offer, see:

    If you are an adult who is looking for support, check out the English Hearing Voices Network. They have a page on how to get extra support that's suitable for those aged 18+. See:

    Whatever your age, you may find out Coping section has some useful ideas in it.

    If you need help urgently

    Whilst we try to reply as quickly as we can to posts, calls and e-mails, as we’re a small team we know we can’t offer a crisis service. So, if you’re feeling desperate, please tell someone you trust (or call a helpline) right now.

    Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, it’s a sign of strength – you’re choosing to get the support you need.

    Not sure who to turn to? Try and think of someone who has been understanding and supportive in the past. This might be: your mum, dad, family member, friend, teacher, youth worker, doctor, nurse or social worker. Not sure what to say?, check out our Telling Other People page for some ideas.

    If you’d like to speak to someone you don’t know, in confidence, you can ring Childline (0800 1111) or the Samaritans (08457 90 90 90).

    If you would like to see a medical professional to talk about how you’re feeling, you can speak to your GP or call NHS 111. NHS 111 is a non-emergency line, but they should be able to help you get the support you need and they are open 24 hours a day. If you’re struggling to cope the doctor may recommend you speak to someone in CAMHS (the child and adolescent mental health services) or a counsellor to talk about what’s happening. CAMHS services have lots of different professionals (including doctors, nurses, therapists and psychologists) who specialise in helping young people express themselves and thinking about what might help them begin to feel better.

    We really recommend speaking to someone in CAMHS if the voices or visions are causing problems in your life (if they’re scaring you, making it hard for you to concentrate or if they’re saying things that make it hard for you to trust people, for example). You don’t need to be on your own with this.

    If you need urgent medical help (e.g. if you have taken an overdose or hurt yourself, or you feel very suicidal and need help straight away) do tell someone and/or go to your local accident and emergency department. If this feels too overwhelming, call NHS 111 to tell them you need help and they should be able to help you through the process.

    Useful crisis contacts

    Childline: 0800 1111
    Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90
    NHS 111: 111
    Emergency services: 999